We are a technology company on a mission to make education accessible. Study.com helps millions of students improve their grades, gain career skills and earn college credit. We offer self-paced, online video courses that cover every subject taught in middle school through junior college as well as a growing suite of corporate learning and professional education products. We’ve built our platform from the ground up, leveraging data and technology to make the entire learning process simple and engaging for students.
We are a profitable, fast growing company looking to expand our team.
We began our journey in 2002 as a self-funded start-up and have grown every year since our inception. As a small, independent company, our employees have a direct impact on company direction and results.
We are located in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. We only hire top talent, so those who pass our rigorous interview process will find themselves as part of one of the brightest and most innovative teams in Silicon Valley.
We have a culture of social responsibility. As we continue to generate profits, we give back by funding scholarship programs and helping charitable organizations provide open access to information and education throughout the poorest regions of the world.
Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the Senior Software Engineer Position
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be able to immediately help us…
- Streamline lesson content creation with a sleek new modular, microservices-based content management system optimized for our educators.
- Improve teacher effectiveness and increase student learning by delivering intuitive virtual classroom features.
- Craft a mobile app experience that leapfrogs the web interface and opens the door to a new area of growth for the company.
- Improve student grades with a fast, reliable method for capturing and responding to student questions.
- Inform student career and school research applying quick iterations of new search and presentation approaches.
- Easing students’ path to college credit through placement tests which dynamically adapt to the mastery students display.
Study.com developers help our cross-functional teams rally around common goals to deliver valuable features like these frequently – sometimes multiple times a day. We’ve got an exceptional focus on quality that emphasizes collaboration and fast feedback, including pair programming and regular code reviews. We invest in developers’ growth, which reflects and reinforces our mission to make education accessible.
At a minimum, you should have these technical qualifications for this role:
- 6+ years’ work experience with Java
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- Fluency with object oriented design, data structures and multithreaded algorithms
You could be a great fit for the team if you…
- Desire to work in a collaborative, team-based environment built around Scrum
- Enjoy integrating, configuring, and tuning NoSQL data stores such as Solr and Cassandra
- Have a calling for breaking apart monolithic code bases and building scalable REST-based services
- Emphasize simplicity and pragmatism, reflected in your elegant code which other developers emulate
Why work for Study.com?
- Help make education accessible to people who need it
- Enjoy a fun, casual and collaborative working environment
- Participate in bi-monthly Innovation Fridays to work on your passion projects
- Join a profitable and financially stable company that is still mission driven
- Help guide company decisions and direction
- See results of your work in days, not years
- Have your work impact 30+ million web visitors each month
- Grow professionally with our training and skill development programs
- Work with other talented and passionate team members
- Competitive compensation (including salary and bonus plan)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- 20 days of flexible paid time off annually (increases to 30 days over 5 years)
- Additional 10 paid holidays annually
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans (we pay 100% of premiums)
- Fully subsidized Caltrain pass
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs